Updated: Oct 27, 2019
Who doesn't love a good pizza? It's great for a casual get together, as a Friday night favourite and it's even popular as a finger food.
If you are following most weight loss diets, Pizza is usually a no-no and sits high on the forbidden list of food that can't be consumed.
Getting your pizza from a box in the supermarket or even the local pizza cafe can be somewhat fattening and not good for your weight loss goals. Most of these pizza's are made with bleached white flour bases, cold meats that are soaked in salts and cheese that can be rather fattening.
There is a way you can eat clean and still enjoy this family favourite. Make your own! Your homemade pizza can be a great way to introduce your kids to vegetables. Rather than make a pizza that is high in fat and preservatives load them up with vegetables, lean meats and bases made with wholemeal or spelt flours.
Here are some tips:
1. Use fiber filled flour Flour like wholemeal, spelt or rye are excellent alternatives for your pizza base or if you are short of time, a low carb tortilla wrap can also be used.
2. Don't use salami, pepperoni or any other meats that's preserved or dripping in fat Find a good grass fed organic sausage from your local butcher. Chicken breasts from free range chickens or fish that is wild caught.
3. Use the right cheese A pizza isn't a pizza without cheese. The better choice is organic mozzarella and grated fresh parmesan.
4. Vegetables, vegetables and vegetables Vegetables such as broccoli, roasted pumpkin, roasted sweet potato, grated carrots and zucchini are all excellent choices.
5. For the sauce, try to make your own too. Use fresh ingredients such as roma tomatoes, basil, onions, garlic and parsley.
Nothing is more delicious than a freshly baked pizza served with a green or mediterranean salad.